This week on my TBS Radio Soundcheck segment, Sound and Vision, I played songs related to jealousy. Luke and I also discussed the music and how each tune related to jealousy. Here's the playlist and a few notes if you were unable to tune in:
First, I chose this theme for the show because I really wanted to play Bill Withers', "Who is He (and What is He to You)." His voice, the backbeat and the delivery captivated me from the first time I heard the song. Secondly, jealousy wields a lot of influence in romance and, consequently, artistic work, especially in the realm of music.
Subsequently, I started thinking about the difference between jealousy and envy, and according to Psychology Today, envy and jealousy differ in this way:
"Envy occurs when we lack a desired attribute enjoyed by another.Jealousy occurs when something we already possess (usually a special relationship) is threatened by a third person"
Then I wondered why green is associated with these emotions color green has apparently been linked to jealousy and envy since ancient Greece, and the Greek word for pale and green were interchangeable. They believed that jealousy caused the body to produce too much bile, giving the skin a "green and pallid color." It seems the first recorded instances of this usage were found in the work of the poet Sappho. She lived and worked in the 6th and 7th Century B.C!
Shakespeare followed suit, describing jealousy-induced greenness in at least two of his plays:
In Othello, Lago warns Othello “beware, my lord, of jealousy;/It is the green-eyed monster which doth mock/The meat it feeds on.”
In Antony and Cleopatra it states, “Lepidus, since Pompey’s feast, as Menas says, is troubled with the green sickness.”
On with the songs!
1. The Gin Blossoms - Hey Jealousy
2. John Lennon - Jealous Guy
3. Mississippi John Hurt - Frankie and Albert - on the show we talked the true stories behind this song. Definitely read up on the murderous history of this tune.
4. Bill Withers - Who is he (and what is he to you)
5. Weezer - No One Else - Rivers Cuomo said this song represents, "the jealous-obsessive guy in me freaking out on my girlfriend," and the cringe-inducing lyrics reflect that.
6. The Gogo's - Our Lips are Sealed - We discussed the fascinating story of the love affair the writers of this song were engaged in.
7. Gladys Knight and the Pips - I Heard it Through the Grapevine - Check them out on Soul Train! I Heard It Through The Grapevine-Gladys Knight and the Pips - YouTube
8. Leadbelly - Where Did You Sleep Last Night? - On the show we dug into the made-for-hollywood nature of Leadbelly's life.
Now, I know it's hard to listen to a radio show sometimes, but the show is about and hour and we cover a lot of interesting topics and go a bit deeper. Every Wednesday at 4:30PM Seoul time on 101.3FM or tbs eFM - 101.3 FM Seoul - Listen Online - TuneIn!
Here are some songs that didn't make the radio cut but were considered and well worth listening to:
Patsy Cline - Your cheating heart
Pink Floyd - Green is the colour
The Thrills - Should’ve known better
Kenny Rogers - Ruby Don’t Take Your Love to Town
Four Tops - Bernadette
Dolly Parton - Something Fishy
Tom Waits - Two Sisters
The Cars - My best friends girl
Charlotte Gainsbourg - Hey Joe
Harry Belafonte - Delia’s Gone
Have a great day!